Tyees remain undefeated

Campbell River Bantam A Tyees are off to an impressive start to the season

Fresh off a 5-4 win against Oceanside and a 5-1 win versus Port Alberni the weekend prior, the undefeated Campbell River Booster Juice Bantam A Tyees came into their game last weekend against the Nanaimo Clippers with an extra kick in their stride.

Carson Borgfjord started this game in net for the Tyees and affiliate Drew Price remains on the blue line while Bryce Turko rehabilitates his knee.

The team had a strong start and generated several quality chances right from the opening face-off. The Tyees lit the red light first as Lukas Lund worked the puck to Braydon Kratzmann for a shot on net. Owen Boyd was Johnny-on-the-spot for the rebound, cleaning it up and putting the puck across the goal-line.

Damian Rennie returned to the line-up and was very effective at both ends of the ice. He fired a hard shot on goal that the Clipper goalie couldn’t control.  The rebound was scooped up by Jaxon Ward as he put it top shelf; 2-0 for the Tyees.

With less than twenty seconds remaining in the first period, Rennie wired another one on net. This rebound was laying in the crease and Matthew Leard buried it to extend the Tyees’ lead to 3-0 at the end of the first period.

Nanaimo started to let their frustration get the better of them as they took a few penalties.  While on the power-play, Will McLean fed the puck back to Liam Rivett at the point. Rivett put a hard, accurate shot on goal that Jacob Hartley deflected for a power-play marker; 4-0 Tyees. Rennie went in on a breakaway but the Clipper goalie smothered the puck as Ward hovered for a loose puck. Nanaimo was called for a double-minor at the ice-cleaning. When play resumed in the second period, Rennie put the biscuit in the basket for another power-play marker; 5-0 Tyees.  Nanaimo was able to convert a power-play of their own just before the end of the second period to make the score 5-1.

With less than eight minutes remaining in the third period, the Clippers sprung a breakaway of their own. The shooter was able to sneak the puck five-hole to make the score 5-2 for the Tyees. However, the Clippers again let their emotions rule and took another double-minor.  On the ensuing power-play, Tyler Dickson re-directed a shot five-hole for the Tyees’ third power-play goal of the game and a 6-2 lead. Final score was 6-2 for the Tyees as they are now 3-0 in the Division 2 regular season.

The Bantam A Tyees host a rematch against Nanaimo on Saturday, Nov. 16 at 4 p.m.  The Juan de Fuca  Grizzlies come to town at 10:15 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 17.