The Campbell River Judo Club (CRJC) recently hosted its annual tournament at the Phoenix Middle School Gym.
The event was attended by members of the Judo community from Victoria, Nanaimo, Campbell River and even had some participants make the trek from New Westminster.
There were nearly 100 competitors ranging from age 5-35; 47 of which were CRJC members. The CRJC members fought hard and showed great competitive spirit in all of their matches.
Some highlights of the day’s events were:
- The clubs youngest competitors Kahlil Paroo, Danica Vrabel, Kira Levesque, Breanna Babcock, Austin Masters, Nolan Cathcart and Andy Kratzman battling hard to open the days matches.
- New members Erik and Emily Forbes had outstanding performances fighting in their first stand-up matches in their first ever tournament.
- The excellent job by all of the club’s junior members who participated in a refereeing seminar prior to the tournament and assisted with the refereeing duties of the days matches.
- During the day, the CRJC received the great news that teenage member Hayley Henry fought Alicia Fiandor of the Nanaimo Judo Club in the final of the U18 Women’s -63kg division at the Elite Championships in Quebec. Fiandor came away with the Gold, Henry the Silver – Vancouver Island athletes battling for the top of the national podium.
- Long time member Danny Kells put on an inspirational effort in the Senior Men’s Medium weight division to win his first ever Gold medal, showing true heart and a never quit attitude in all of his matches.
Many volunteers helped organize, assist, move mats and setup. Maverick Trailer & Marine supplied a trailer to move the mats back and forth.
For up to date information regarding the Campbell River Judo Club check them out on facebook or on the web at