A student took a photo of the message that was written on a mirror inside the boys’ bathroom at Skeena Middle School. It reads, ‘School shooting Thursday or Friday.’ (Facebook photo)

Fourth threat in a week involves two northwest B.C. schools

Multiple threats, later deemed to be low-risk, were made at schools in Terrace and Kitimat

Police investigated yet another threat that turned out to be a false alarm involving a school in northwest B.C.

Mounties in Kitimat received information from Mount Elizabeth Secondary School on Monday morning about a Facebook post depicting a gun and knife, with the messages “Coming back to Kitimat with these” and “Big city girl is back IG.”

Const. Kurtis Fink said they found the person responsible and determined there was no danger to the public.

Officers had already been posted at Mount Elizabeth and Skeena Middle School in Terrace that day, following multiple threats made in the last week that were later deemed to be low-risk.

Superintendent Katherine McIntosh posted a statement online on Sunday about a social media post that appeared to target both schools.

READ MORE: Concerns eased over threat against Skeena Middle School

“Please be informed that school district officials were alerted to a concerning message posted on the Facebook Terrace Buy & Sell at 3:00 p.m. today, May 12. We have been aware that the messages have been posted from both the Terrace and Kitimat communities,” McIntosh wrote on the Coast Mountain School District’s website.

“The RCMP and Safer Schools Together have determined this is a low-level risk event.”

Last Tuesday, a message reading “School shooting Thursday or Friday” was written on the mirror of a boys’ washroom at the Skeena school.

“We immediately activated our multidisciplinary violence threat risk assessment process, which involves police and other key community partners,” principal Phillip Barron later wrote in a letter to parents.

“The threat was determined to be low risk and steps were immediately taken to address the concern and ensure appropriate supports were in place for all concerned.”

RELATED: Social media bomb scare targets Kitimat high school

Nevertheless, police were posted on school grounds for the rest of the week.

On Friday, district officials were informed of another threatening message on social media, again found to be low-risk.

McIntosh said school staff and parents were kept informed throughout the week and counsellors were available.

“The school district will be conducting its own investigation into these incidents. The school district has activated its multi-disciplinary Violence Threat Risk Assessment (VTRA) process. This involves the RCMP and other community partners,” she said.

Parents took to social media to voice their concerns, with some deciding to keep their children home Friday despite the school’s decision to stay open.

READ MORE: Prince George school evacuated after threats made: RCMP

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

 

A photo of the letter sent to parents from Skeena Middle School principal Phillip Barron assuring them their children were safe and administrative staff are working closely with Terrace RCMP in response to the threat. (Facebook photo)

Mount Elizabeth Middle Secondary School. Photo Gerry Leibel

Just Posted

B.C. salmon farm inspection deal reached with Indigenous people

Monitoring to determine if any Broughton region farms stay open

Compromise found on grocery store size in south Campbell River subdivision

Approved increase less than developer wanted, but will still allow for some flexibility

City of Campbell River looks to improve environmental protection during development

Changes to mapping environmentally sensitive areas and how permitting process works is under review

Dippity doo-dah; Campbell River Rotary Duck Dip winners scooped up

Fundraiser for Head Injury Support Society’s Linda’s Place

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

B.C. man guilty of first-degree murder in Yukon killing

Edward James Penner, 22, was given the mandatory life sentence for the 2017 slaying of 25-year-old Adam Cormack

Woman stabbed at least five times in Nelson during random attack

Victim is in hospital, suspect is in police custody

Victoria man spots online photo of his totem pole 11 years after it was stolen

Mark Trueman restored the pole himself before it was stolen off of his property in Duncan

‘I’d do it again,’ says B.C. man who swam naked, drunk in Toronto shark tank

David Weaver, of Nelson, was drunk when he went to Ripley’s Aquarium in Toronto on Oct. 12 2018

How to react to Trudeau’s racist photos? With humility, B.C. prof says

‘We are now treating racism as a crime that you cannot recover from’

Horvat paces Canucks to 6-1 pre-season win over Oilers

Vancouver improves to 3-1 in NHL exhibition action

‘Really disturbing:’ Trudeau’s racist photos worry B.C. First Nation chief

Wet’suwet’en Chief concerned the photos will sow fear in Indigenous communities

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

Most Read