To accommodate Simms Creek culvert repair, Galerno Road will be closed between Cottonwood and Vista Bay starting at 7 a.m. Wednesday Aug. 29 and will remain closed to all through traffic until Sept. 17.
All traffic will be detoured around the site to Alder Street via Cottonwood and Rockland.
The contractor will provide pedestrian access through the site for school children from 7 to -9 a.m. and from 2 to 4 p.m. each weekday after Sept.3. There will also be pedestrian access through the site after work hours from approximately 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. each day.
- The Simms Creek culvert is approximately 26 metres long and 3.66 metres in diameter.
- The culvert has been monitored as part of the City’s bridge and culvert inspection program and an independent engineering report has determined the condition of the culvert has deteriorated to the point that it must be repaired to continue to support traffic and utilities crossing Simms Creek.
- Through an open bidding process, the City has secured the services of a local civil contractor (Uplands Excavating) and engineering firm (McElhanney Consulting Services) for this project.
- All work is confined to Simms Creek culvert area on Galerno Road between Vista Bay and Cottonwood.
- Construction is anticipated to be completed by Sept. 30.