Court orders woman to stay away from boyfriend who has special needs

Tanya Werkland of Campbell River pleaded guilty to assault after slapping her boyfriend across the face

A woman has been ordered to have no contact with her boyfriend, who has special needs, after slapping him.

Tanya Werkland pleaded guilty to assault and breach of a court order Oct. 21, in Campbell River provincial court.

The charges stem from an incident that occurred on Oct. 10. According to Crown prosecutor Adrienne Venturini, the man was walking to work along Dogwood Street and had intended to meet Werkland.

However, when she was late, he continued on his way, not wanting to miss the Quadra ferry. Werkland though drove to the ferry terminal and confronted him.

A witness heard Werkland yelling and screaming, and then saw her slap him across the face. The man’s glasses went flying and then Werkland grabbed him by the jacket just as a woman stepped in between the two.

Police were called and Werkland, who is known to authorities, was arrested. During her arrest she told the officer, “I don’t know what the problem is, I only slapped him across the face.”

She was later released from custody on a promise to appear in court and on the condition that she have no contact with her boyfriend.

But shortly after her release, she returned to his residence. When he refused to let her in, police were called and Werkland was arrested for the second time that day. She’s been in custody since then.

According to Venturini, Werkland is very controlling of her former boyfriend and he’s “somewhat vulnerable.” Venturini also told the court that further charges are pending against Werkland who was also phoning the man since being jailed.

The court also heard that Werkland has addiction issues and has been under stress while going through a trial to regain custody of her child. She told the judge she wants to get back together with her boyfriend.

“We’re obviously different…I’m not interested in fighting with him. I’m not a violent person. I don’t see any reason why I can’t go home if I’m clean and sober,” she said.

But the judge ordered that Werkland have no contact with the man. She’s due back in court today for a bail hearing.