The Campbell River Fire Department was called out to the John Hart Water Quality Centre on the afternoon of Tues. Aug. 9, after a leak was found in a tank of chlorine gas.
City of Campbell River water supervisor Jenny Brunn said the public was not at risk during the incident.
“Yesterday there was absolutely no concern for the public,” said Brunn.
When the tanks were being changed that day – as happens twice a month – technicians noticed a small leak from one of them, according to Brunn.
Brunn said the leak was “very small” but it persisted, so at 3 p.m. the Campbell River Fire Department was called out.
Two firemen entered the facility in Level A Hazmat suits to repair the leak, while two more in the suits waited outside. Another seven of the crew were on site for back-up, according to deputy fire chief Ian Baikie.
By 5:30 p.m. the leak was stopped and the Fire Department had cleared out.
According to Brunn, testing was done outside of the facility during the leak and no measurable amount of the gas was detected, meaning no harm was done to humans, animals, or plants during the leak.
“We’re just very safety oriented when it comes to chlorine gas,” said Brunn.