Bail cancelled for man accused of killing brother

The judge had “grave concern” man will continue consuming alcohol and committing breaches

A young man charged with second-degree murder in the death of his half-brother was arrested again for allegedly fighting with another brother.

Tony Williams, 18, wasn’t charged mischief or assault in connection with the alleged fight, but his bail was revoked due to five counts of breaching his bail conditions.

“The allegations of breach or piling up,” said Judge John Joe on Wednesday in Campbell River provincial court.

The judge added he had “grave concern” Williams will continue consuming alcohol and committing breaches, “In these circumstances, I’m going cancel bail and detain you.”

Williams is accused of killing his half brother Edison Thomas, 33, on Sept. 28, 2011. Williams was released on strict bail conditions last December and ordered to reside with his parents, who were in the courtroom for Wednesday’s hearing.

However, on April 4, at 1:26 a.m., a pedestrian found Williams passed out in the downtown area. Police arrived and could find no identification on the man who was breathing, but was largely unresponsive.

He was taken to hospital were high blood-alcohol levels were noted by medical staff. Police were later able to identify that it was Williams who was under conditions to abide by a curfew and to not consume alcohol.

However, he was released from custody and later charged with breach.

Then, on the afternoon of June 29, just four days after Williams had appeared in court to set a date for the murder trial, police received a report of two men fighting downtown.

It was Williams and his brother who were allegedly yelling and punching each other. Williams later told an officer they were, “only fighting about brother business.”

Officers detected a slight odour of alcohol on Williams’ breath and the smell of marijuana.

A small amount of pot was allegedly found in a backpack Williams was carrying, but he wasn’t charged with possession of a controlled substance.

This time though, Williams was detained.

Defence lawyer Doug Marion told the court that Williams denied drinking during the second incident. He also said that it was Williams’ brother who was throwing the punches.

“This is a situation where the brother was angry,” said Marion.

However, Crown prosecutor Bruce Goddard noted there appears to be a pattern of Williams breaching his bail conditions.

“He’s been released on a very serious charge…he should be detained in custody,” said Goddard.

Judge Joe agreed and cancelled Williams’ bail.

Williams was back in court on Thursday and was expected to enter into a plea agreement on some of the breach allegations. The outcome was not available at press time.

A pre-trial conference for the murder trial is scheduled for July 18, in B.C. Supreme Court in Campbell River.