Independent living can be a great lifestyle solution for older adults looking to pursue a purposeful, active, social and healthy retirement. It offers freedom of choice and gives residents complete control of their lives.
In fact, many older adults opt for independent living so they can take full advantage of all the services and opportunities available for them, like lifelong learning, excursions, volunteer opportunities, regular recreational activities and classes – just a few options those 55+ can enjoy at an independent living residence.
Perks of independent living include:
- Private apartments with access to shared social areas like multiple dining venues, learning centres, fitness rooms, social lounges, art studios, outdoor green spaces and patios.
- Services including weekly housekeeping, transportation to personal appointments and nutritious Red Seal chef-curated meals
- Onsite and offsite fitness classes like circuit training, yoga, ball drumming, nordic pole walking, dance fitness and social engagement programs to promote active aging.
- Cultural and social programming, such as beginner languages, painting, creative writing and offsite excursions ranging from a hike, a visit to an art gallery, an overnight trip to the mainland, music festivals and so much more.
- Proximity to grocery stores, pharmacies, community centres, parks, libraries, shops and cafés.
- Self-directed wellness complemented by safety features like 24-hour staff, pull cords in all suites and pendants, should you and your family desire extra safety.
The added benefits of Assisted Living
Similar to independent living, assisted living provides an environment for older adults seeking to remain as safe and socially engaged as possible.
Assisted living communities must be registered with the B.C. Office of the Assisted Living Registrar if they’re providing up to two of the six prescribed services outlined in the Community Care and Assisted Living Act.
Beyond everything listed above, additional perks can make assisted living an excellent lifestyle choice for older adults needing further support while they age, including:
- Access to a 24-hour emergency response system.
- Assisted Living Services provided by a designated care support team.
- Support with daily living activities, including mobility, dressing, grooming, bathing, personal hygiene and medication administration.
Deciding which option is best for you doesn’t have to be difficult. Ultimately, it comes down to which type of residence best aligns with your level of health, mobility, fitness and independence, as well as lifestyle choice preferences.
Ready to make the move and start enjoying all the perks of independent senior living? Learn more online at berwickretirement.com or book a tour with Loren today at Berwick by the Sea in Campbell River.