Looking for things for kids to do on Pro-D Day Feb. 6?
The City of Campbell River Recreation & Culture Department is offering five different programs to entertain preschool and school aged children. These programs include family gym, bird house construction, computer animation, fun with chocolate and boys only.
- Just in time for Valentine’s Day, fun with chocolate classes gives children in grades 5 to 9 the opportunity to learn to make molded, dipped and clusters of chocolates to give as a gift. They’ll also enjoy eating fruit-covered chocolate from a chocolate fountain. Fun with Chocolate is led by Lin Kohlhofer at the Community Centre. For grades 5 to 7 it runs from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Grades 7 to 9 attend from 1 to 2:30 p.m. This program is sponsored in part by Real Canadian Superstore. Cost is $15.
- Grades 2 to 5 who like to hammer can make and paint bird houses between 2 and 4 p.m. The $22 cost of the program includes all wood, nails and paint. Participants are asked to bring a hammer to the class at the Community Centre.
- New this year, computer animation classes for grades 2 to 8 will teach students skills to produce a “Claymation” production. Participants will learn about storyboarding, miniature set design, character development, editing and the stop-start animation process. The $40 session includes all equipment: laptops, camera, microphone, tripods, and modeling clay. Classes for grades 2 to 5 will be held between 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Grades 6 to 8 attend from 1:30 to 4 p.m. at the Community Centre.
- Hey, guys! It’s your turn to take over the Sportsplex! Dodgeball, soccer, wallyball, floor hockey with members of the Storm hockey team and messy, messy contests are just some of the activities offered during the Boys Only Pro D Day program for grades 4 to 6 between noon and 3 p.m. The drop-in fee is $7 per person.
- There will also be free Family Gym for little ones (walking to five years old) between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m. at the Community Centre. This free event is sponsored by Building Blocks and Family Place.
All Pro D Day programs are offered at the Campbell River Community Centre, except for the Boys Only, which is held at the Sportsplex. For more information regarding classes, please call the Community Centre, 250-286-1161 or the Sportsplex, 250-923-7911.