Forty-five athletes from Campbell River participated in the largest-ever Special Olympics BC Summer Games held in Langley last weekend.
Competing in sports ranging from bocce to basketball, the Campbell River athletes competed on the Region 6 (Vancouver Island) team. The games kicked off Thursday night with opening ceremonies in the Langley Events Centre as each regional team marched in with a B.C. sports personality leading them in.
Region 6 marched in with arguably one of the most popular sports athletes in the province, Trevor Linden. Also participating were BC Lions quarterback Travis Lulay, receiver Marco Iannuzzi, Vancouver Whitecaps defender Jay DeMerit, Whitecaps legend Carl Valentine, Olympic gold medalist Ashleigh McIvor and others. Special Olympics is not just about winning medals but also about having the courage to compete regardless of ability and pursuing personal best performances. Campbell River’s athletes did themselves proud in all three categories.
Campbell River results of the Special Olympics BC Summer Games:
- Callum Maclagan – Gold.
- Dave Devison – Gold.
Jackie Krabseth – 25 back, 2nd; 25 free, 2nd; 50 free, 2nd.
- Jessie Shade – 25 breast, Gold; 25 free, Gold; 50 back, Gold; 20 free, Gold; 200 free, Silver.
- Paul Aubuchon – 200 free, Silver; 25 back, 4th; 25 free, 4th; 50 back, 5th; 100 free, 5th.
- Sara Minato – 25 free, Bronze; 50 free, Bronze.
- Nicholas Benner – 25 breast, Gold; 25 fly, Gold; 25 free, Silver; 50 breast, Bronze; 50 free, 5th.
- Shane Bustin – 50 free, 5th; 100 free, 4th.
- Campbell River Waves (Andrew Caulfield, Andrew Wainwright, Dave Marsters, Denise Siggs, Ken Sloan, Mandy Smith, Matthew Basso, Michelle Forberg) – Bronze.
- Jessica Sanders – two Gold, one Silver and one Bronze.
- Adrianne Goodie – one Gold, two Silver and one Bronze.
- Campbell River (Ashley Adie, Billy John, Bryan Jorgensen, Ben DaFoe, Gabe Young, J.L. Hollywood, Reise Collins, Skyler Wilson) – 4th.
Track and Field:
- Krista Meldrum – long jump, Gold; shot put, Silver; 100 metre, Bronze.
- Hazen Meade – 400 metre, 4th; 800 metre, Gold; 1500 metre, Gold; long jump, Bronze.
- Hannah Taylor – 100 metre, Silver; 800 metre, Silver; shot put, Silver; long jump, Gold; 4 x 100 metre relay, Bronze.
- Shallane Conroy – 100 metre, Bronze; shot put, Gold; long jump, Gold; 4 x 100 metre relay, Bronze.
10 Pin Bowling:
- Walter Dion – 4th.
- Danny Dion – Bronze.
- Tracey Stanley – Gold (pairs); Bronze (team).
- Kim Rolfe – Gold (pairs); Bronze (team).
- Allen Hanson – Bronze.
- James Heartley – Bronze.
5 Pin Bowling:
- Jamie Chickite – Gold.
- Brayden Bridges – Bronze.
- Cheryl Wickham – 4th.
- Nicole Martin – 4th.
- Rob O’Shea – Bronze.
- Samantha Potter – Bronze.
- Man Lok Au – Bronze.
- Debbie Lowery – Bronze.
- Tom Jackobsen – Gold.