Riptide U14 boys rally comes up short against Saanich

Riptide found themselves on the wrong side of a 5-4 final score; their first defeat of the season

After starting the 2014 VIPL soccer season with a 2-0-1 record, the Upper Island U14 Riptide boys would face their toughest task to date – a match with the Saanich Fusion at Tyndal park in Victoria.

Last season, the Fusion defeated Campbell River 6-0 in the Island playdowns; eventually becoming U13 provincial champions. Coming into this contest, everyone on the Riptide squad knew what was expected of them if they wanted to leave Victoria with a favourable result.

The Fusion came out quickly in the first half and dominated play. After some defensive breakdowns and missed assignments, the Riptide found themselves down 2-0 on two goals that had a similar air about them. Saanich continued to press, but Riptides goalkeeper Tyler Griffith (filling in the for injured Alec Weinstein) came up big a couple of times to keep the score 2-0. The Riptide finally started to get rolling around the 20 minute mark. After a series of nice chances, the Riptide were finally rewarded when Joe Dirom found the twine, scoring on a partial break from about 15 yards out.

Minutes later, Campbell River would strike again, tying the game up on some first class passing. Cohen McCabe would pass the ball over to Fergus Hall who then one time tip passed the ball over to Joe Dirom for a tap in from about 3 yards out.

Just before the first half would end though, Saanich capitalized on more defensive breakdowns and found themselves up 3-2 on a rocket shot from 18 yards out into the lower corner of the net.

For most of the second half, the Riptide were strong, but Saanich were very opportunistic, managing to capitalize two more times on uncharacteristically weak and at times, confused looking play from the Campbell River squad.

Down 5-2, things were looking bleak for the Riptide. It would have been easy to hang their heads and quit, but this team isn’t about that (quitting).

With about 10 minutes left, Fergus Hall potted a goal on a breakaway and the score was now 5-3. Then, under five minutes later, Nathan Chow was sent in on a semi-breakaway, making no mistake and burying his chance; the score was now 5-4. Campbell River really looked to have the Fusion on the ropes at this point, but the referee’s final whistle would come and the Riptide found themselves on the wrong side of a 5-4 final score; their first defeat of the season.