It was a tough outing for the Campbell River Bantam A Ravens last Sunday at Strathcona Gardens where they went down to a 11-3 defeat at the hands of the Saanich Tigers.

Ravens split weekend

The Campbell River Bantam A Booster Juice Ravens travelled south on Saturday to play Peninsula Warriors

The Campbell River Bantam A Booster Juice Ravens travelled south on Saturday to play Peninsula Warriors.

They jumped out to an early lead as Zach Lontayao scored followed by Quin Nelson to take a 2-0 lead.

Peninsula closed the gap to 3-2 at the end of the first period.  Rivett got things back on track with his second goal of the game.  Ian Hall got in on the action as he scored, assisted by Lontayao.

The second period ended 5-2 for the Ravens.  In the third, Nolan Fair put the biscuit in the basket, assisted by Nelson.  Peninsula scored to make it 6-3 but Turko added one more for the Ravens to make it 7-3.

On Sunday, the Ravens hosted Saanich Tigers ‘A1 team. Both teams were missing a few key players; the Ravens had two players out due to game misconducts from the prior game plus one on the sick list while the Tigers were missing a player due to Team BC Basketball obligations.

The Tigers player is also on Team BC Lacrosse so he’s at least a two-sport threat.

Making the most of an unfortunate situation, the players who did dress gave it everything they had.

Matthew Leard opened the scoring as he took a pass from Lukas Lund while cutting through the heart of the house and wired it stick side.  Tigers came right back as they executed a two-on-one to perfection to tie the score at 1.

Saanich took the lead after they had sustained pressure in the Ravens zone.  This was going to become a frequent occurrence in this game as McLean made back-to-back-stops but couldn’t stop them all…1-2 for Saanich at the end of the first period.

The second period saw Saanich extend their lead to 1-6 before the Ravens got things rolling again.  Ross Rickman fired a bullet into the low corner making it 2-6 and Aidan Probyn wired one waist high just before the buzzer went for the end of the second period, 3-6 for the Tigers.

Unfortunately that turned out to be the final goal for the Ravens while the Tigers continued to run their motion offence and win one-on-one battles.  They ultimately put a few more in the back of the net to make the final score 3-11 for the Tigers.

McLean faced a total of 85 shots on goal in this game, stopping 74 of them.