The Hurricanes player (#9) celebrates a goal during Sunday’s game against the Campbell River Wolverines at Rod Brind’Amour Arena. The Wolves

Peewee Tyees take home the bronze

Tyees: nail-biter finale

The #1 Autobody Peewee A Tyees crossed over to the Lower Mainland one last time for the Ridge Meadows Spring Hometown Heroes tournament March 11-14.

Friday afternoon the Tyees met the Chilliwack Bruins in their first game of the tourney.  Chilliwack got on the scoreboard first but by the conclusion of the first period, Campbell River had answered back.

During the second period, Campbell River peppered the talented Bruins goalie with shots but it was the Bruins that would score two goals while the Tyees could only bury one of their own. Fortunately, the Tyees were able to tie up the game not too long into the third period but despite heavily outshooting the Bruins, they were not able to pull ahead in the game and the score was 3-3 at the final buzzer.

Parker Bell was named the game MVP for his three point effort.

Saturday’s game saw the Campbell River squad meet a very strong Boise team.

The Jr. Steelheads got out on top first and never looked back.

The Tyees scored only one goal in the game, in the third period, and the final result was 7-1.  The game MVP was Evan Billard for his solid work ethic throughout the game.

With losing an hour sleep due to the time change and an early morning, must-win game Sunday, the Tyees knew they would have to put in a strong effort.

This time Campbell River scored first against their opponent, the Prince George Cougars.  Unfortunately, the Cougars answered back and the score remained at a deadlock until the Tyees buried one shortly into the third period.

But the Cougars kept the game a nail biter by again answering back with just eight minutes remaining in the game.  Fortunately, the Tyees would net two more before the final buzzer to prevail with a 4-2 win.  Goalie Marcus Shankar was named the game MVP for his performance between the posts.

This meant that the Tyees would meet Chilliwack one more time Sunday afternoon to determine which of the two teams would advance to the semi-finals.  There was no score in the first period.

This time around, the Tyees buried the first goal in the second period, but Chilliwack answered back before the period was over.

But that is where the scoring would end for the Bruins.

The Tyees put in another one in the second and two more in the third.

The final tally was 4-1 and the Campbell River squad finished second in their pool.  Captain Brian Majic was given the nod as game MVP for his strong defensive play.

The Monday morning semi-final game against a fast-skating Ridge Meadows team started off at an exciting pace, but the Rustlers would be the only team to score in the first period.

The Lower Mainland team potted three more in the second before the Tyees could answer back.

In the third period, Campbell River got into some penalty trouble which resulted in two more Rustler goals before the game ended with a 6-1 score.

Monday afternoon’s Bronze medal game saw the Tyees meet up with their Island neighbours, the Comox Valley Chiefs.

The Chiefs put the puck between the posts first but the Tyees soon answered back.

The Tyees scored again early in the second period and maintained a lead throughout the remainder of the game.

The Chiefs brought the score to within one goal with seven minutes remaining in the game, but the Tyees widened the gap with five minutes remaining and in the end won the contest 5-3.  That was good enough to earn the Tyees the bronze in the tournament.

The team had a great season and thanks their sponsor, #1 Autobody for their support.

A peewee Hurricane goes air borne during a game Sunday versus the Campbell River Peewee Rangers at Rod Brind’Amour Arena.