Cermaq net valuable points

The opening half was a little scrappy with both teams looking a little rushed and nervous

Cermaq City Wave FC travelled to Nanaimo this past Saturday evening in their second game of their new season in the Vancouver Island Soccer league (VISL).

Both teams went into the game with optimism having crushed their opponents in their season openers last weekend. Clearly this was going to be a far more competitive game.

The opening half was a little scrappy with both teams looking a little rushed and nervous in their play. The Cermaq Wave like to get the ball on the floor and play a possessional type game but the constant harrying of the young Nanaimo team seemed to upset their flow.

Despite this, the Campbell River boys were able to get the opening goal with a fine header from Shane Dumanoir after an excellent pass from Eddie Lawson.

More goals might have followed with a number of near misses from some set pieces. Meanwhile, the Cermaq defence of Colan Grootenboer, Antho Seville, Peter McWilliams and John Jepson looked quite comfortable in dealing with the Nanaimo attacks and on the one occasion they did get through, ‘keeper Wylie Roberts came out and made an outstanding save.  Shortly before the half time whistle Matt Wooff scored a fine goal with a strike from about 25 yards out.

The second half saw Nanaimo make a significant number of subs and they changed their shape to a very attacking formation. Their forwards were all very quick and it led to Nanaimo playing a very direct style of knocking diagonal passes behind the Cermaq backline.

Again keeper Roberts was alert to such dangers and came out on numerous occasions to quash the danger. To help counter this threat, Eric Roberts played a little deeper and helped set a strong defensive wall.

Cermaq also consolidated their midfield and attack with Kellen McKeller and Jose Moon. The latter almost scored with a left-footed effort that drifted wide of the upright after 56 minutes.

Keeper Roberts was to come to the rescue after 64 minutes when Nanaimo were awarded a dubious penalty after one of their strikers thought he was in the Nanaimo Aquatics Dive team.

Justice was served when Roberts stopped the ensuing penalty kick with a tremendous save to his left.

Nanaimo certainly kept their spirits up and they are to be commended for their efforts. The three points were sealed after Bailey Gardener made a fast break from a fine pass of Jason Fawkes.

The run was brought to an abrupt halt when he was upended in the other penalty area and Eddie Lawson scored from the spot. All in all a valuable three points in what looks to be a tough VISL Division.

On Saturday, the Cermaq City Wave FC return to Campbell River and host Castaways at 2 p.m. at Willow Point Field. Anyone looking to see league positions and schedules for the team can find all the information here: http://www.visl.org/