Cermaq City tie three in a row in Division 2

But remain undefeated on the season; Hold second place

On Saturday Oct. 24 Cermaq City Wave FC hosted Vantreights FC in a Vancouver Island Soccer League Division 2 match-up.

Cermaq came into the game in second place in Division 2, with Vantreights sitting three points behind in third place, setting the stage for another well contested game with both teams looking to pick up a valuable win.

After some early back and forth, Cermaq would assert themselves as the dominant team in the first half.

Central midfielder Matt Wooff added some spark to the Cermaq attack by controlling the ball and making some penetrating passes in behind the Vantreights defence for the forwards to chase after.

Mid way through the first half Cermaq would work the ball down the right flank to forward Shane Dumanoir. Dumanoir found himself deep in the Vantreights 18 yard box with a few defenders on him.

Dumanoir quickly made a couple slick moves, beating three defenders and blasting a shot past the Vantreights keeper to give Cermaq a 1-0 edge. Dumanoir is now tied with Wooff for the scoring lead in Division 2 with seven goals apiece.

Vantreights were able to get into the Cermaq defensive end a few times with some creative and shifty plays, but the Cermaq defence of Colan Grootenboer, Antho Seville, Eric Roberts, James Lawson and midfielders Mark Ross and Rob Shaw were able to shut down the attack and few quality chances were generated.

Cermaq would continue to roll, applying more pressure that would eventually lead to a corner kick.

Shaw would deliver a spot on cross into the penalty area which was finished with a strong header by Wyatt Bryce. Cermaq seemed to be in control of the game as the first half ended.

Vantreights would push back in the second half, creating some dangerous attacks down the flanks.

Shortly into the half, a great individual run was made by the Vantreights flanking attacker, who managed to evade a couple Cermaq defenders.

Unselfishly the Vantreights attacker cut the ball back to an open teammate in the penalty area, who finished calmly with a relatively easy shot past the sprawling Cermaq keeper.

Vantreights would continue to pressure the Cermaq defence, and get the ball in the attacking zone.

Shortly after their first goal, a sloppy tackle in the penalty area led to a penalty shot for Vantreights. The Vantreights shooter would convert and even the score at two.

With plenty of time left in the game, both teams would battle hard for the win as the players tired and the game opened up.

Chances would be had at both ends, but neither squad was able to secure the lead again.

The game would end in a 2-2 draw.

Cermaq has now tied three games in a row and remain undefeated this season and hold onto second place in the Division.

Cermaq’s next game is at home at Willow Point Park on Saturday Oct. 31 at 2 p.m., where they take on Powell River Villa.