Tyees left fullback Carter Coblenz (left) controls the ball during Saturday’s Fall Classic final against Kwalikum.

Carihi Fall Classic played in classic fall weather

Campbell River squad continued their encouraging start to the season with five straight wins this past week in league and tournament play

The Tyees hosted the Fall Classic this past weekend amid the strong wind and constant rain.

Eight teams from both the Island and the Lower Mainland were involved and the Tyees showed little mercy to the mainland visitors on day one.

A rebuilding Pemberton side were the first opponents and the Tyees were able to enjoy a very comfortable victory. Midfielder Alex Foge picked up a first half hat trick and the Carihi bench were able to enjoy the vast majority of playing time.

The second game of the day saw a much sterner challenge against Credo Christian School. They had been involved in an excellent, competitive game earlier in the day which they lost 2-1 to the always strong Glenlyon Norfolk School.

The Tyees started off well and controlled the early play and seemed to get to the majority of challenges first. Carihi took a deserved lead after 14 minutes. Kevin Shelswell put in a corner which was barely cleared to the top of the 18 yard line. The ball came toward Taylor Arbour who was able to adjust his feet quickly to allow a shot which was fired into the top corner of the net.

Despite dominating possession, the Tyees were unable to add to their score by half time.

The first half pattern continued in the second with Carihi defence of Anderson, Anthony Vigneron, Carter Cobelenz and Tyler Kelly standing strong.

Carihi added two more goals from Dylan Sparling and Jason Fawkes to secure a well earned 3-0 win and a place in the semi finals the following morning against Glenlyon Norfolk School.

Conditions on Saturday morning had deteriorated with strong winds playing havoc on the teams. The Tyees won the toss and played with the wind behind their backs. They made a dream start to the semifinal with a goal within the first three minutes. Fluent passing resulted in Shelswell getting the ball outside the 18 yard box. Shellswell then laid the ball off to Zach Tillipaugh whose calm finish beats the keeper.

The first half was a story of missed chances. It would be fair to say Carihi could have scored six more goals but for a lack of cutting edge and a couple of fine keeper saves. The second half saw a strong reaction from Glenlyon Norfolk. They had much more possession than in the first half and keeper Colin Massie had to be at his best to thwart a number of scoring opportunities. Foge looked to have given the Tyees some breathing space with a superb curling shot from outside the box into the top left hand corner of the net.

Unfortunately, within minutes Glenlyon had pegged a goal back via a penalty kick. Glenlyon continue to pressure but once again a fine passing move from Carihi results in a second goal for Tillapaugh and the two goal lead is regained at 3-1. Carihi were looking comfortable at this stage but a wonderful strike from 30 yards out flies into the roof of the net for a 3-2 scoreline with 11 minutes remaining. Further excellent attacking play from Carihi sees Declan Arnold get on the scoresheet for a 4-2 scoreline. Once again Glenlyon respond with a second penalty shot after a player was fouled in the 18 yard box. This end-to-end entertaining game was to end 4-3 for Carihi.

The cup final matched North Island rivals Carihi and Kwalikum High School. Both teams are to be commended for the quality and spirit of their play in somewhat atrocious weather. This time it was Kwalikum who were to enjoy a dream start. Weak communication in the Tyee defence saw a Kwalikum forward drive right through and score inside the opening minute.

The game was well balanced for the next 10 minutes but Carihi were able to draw level after 16 minutes. Krutzieger put Carihi 2-1 ahead with a poachers’-style goal after 23 minutes.

The second half was again a farly even affair. Tillapaugh added a third goal for Carihi and Kwalikum scored a late second to make it an interesting last few minutes. However, Carihi were able to hold on and win the cup. Carihi play Brooks of Powell River this Wednesday in league play.


Highland league game


Carihi continued their encouraging start to the season with five straight wins this past week in league and Tournament play.

In their second league game they travelled to Comox to play the always competitive Highland Boys. In glorious sunshine, the Tyees got off to a dream start. Alex Foge knocked a diagonal ball into James Krutzieger who then whips the ball into the 18 yard box right onto the foot of Zach Tillipaugh. Tillipaugh hits it first time straight into the back of the net.

The Tyees enjoyed all the possession for the next 15 minutes but a lack focus at the back resulted in a tying goal for the home team. After 32 minutes, a scramble in the Highland 18 yard box saw Carihi hit the cross bar twice in a matter of seconds. Eventually, the ball found the net as Krutzieger connected with the rebound from the cross bar with a fine low strike. Foge extended the lead to 3:1 and a fourth came after Kevin Shelswell was unceremoniously brought down in the penalty area after an excellent run forward. Aiden Anderson scored the resulting penalty kick.

Highland made it 4-2 shortly into the second half. Carihi’s fifth goal came after Shelswell’s unselfish pass was finished emphatically by Foge. Once again Highland refused to give up and they scored their third goal with a superb free kick. A delightful solo effort from Karson Kroetch saw the final goal of the game. Kroetch danced past two Highland defenders and the keeper to add some insurance to Carihi’s lead. Final score was 6-3 for Carihi.