The Mainstream Biological Pee Wee B Tyees finished the season as winners in Pitt Meadows.

Campbell River Pee Wee B Tyees strike gold on the Fraser

The Tyees opened the round robin with a tightly contested game against the host Ridge Meadow Rustlers

Mainstream Biological Pee Wee B Tyees traveled to Pitt Meadows from March 14 to 17 for their final tournament of the year.

The Tyees opened the round robin with a tightly contested game against the host Ridge Meadow Rustlers.  The score ended 1-1. Cole Devlin scored the lone Tyees goal, assisted by Kyle Billy and Nathan Lagos

Tyees played their second game against the Portland Hawks. Down early after some bad bounces the team rallied with two intense periods, equaling their opponents play, but was unable to overcome the early deficit. The game ended with Portland up by a score of 6-4. Cole Devlin, Dakota Sinclair, Ridge Rosa, Hayden Campbell scored, with assists from Kayle Majic, Cole Devlin and Dakota Sinclair.

Mainstream Biological Tyees finished their round robin play with a game against Mission. With the Tyees coming into the game with a 0-1-1 record it appeared the opposition took the team lightly.  Ten minutes into the first period CR was up by a score of 7-1.  Mission picked up their game but were unable to match the scoring pace of the Tyees. Tyees won the game 9-4 to finish second in their pool at the end of round robin play. Kyle Billy, Riory Young, Nathan Lagos, Dakota Sinclair, Jordan Baker, Robert Gurney and Tyler Downey scored, with assists from Nathan Lagos, Robert Gurney, Luka Kellerhals, Dakota Sinclair, Heydon Campbell, Ethan Mainprize and Kayle Majic.

In the semi-final, the Tyees met Portland Hawks for the second time in three days.  In a see-saw game that saw Portland pull ahead, only to have Tyees tie the game up with a minute left in the third period, regulation ended in a tie, with each team having six tallies. Overtime was five minutes of 4-on-4, made even harder when Tyees took a penalty while defending in their own zone.  Goalie Jayce Hudak kept the team in the game, making a number of key saves over the next two minutes.  OT ended in a tie, with the match to be settled in a shootout.  In the shootout, the first two rounds resulted in no goals. On the third set of shooters, Portland’s shooter went for a deke and was poke checked by Hudak. Heydon Campbell was then in a position to win the game. Coming in to shoot at an even pace, Campbell snapped the puck over the Hawks’ goaltender’s left shoulder, winning the game.

In the tournament final, Tyees met the undefeated Smithers Storm.  In a game that saw two very evenly matched teams play a hard fought, physical game, the scoring came down to a few timely bounces. Tyees last goal saw a shot from winger Riory Young that bounced off a Storm player out to Ethan Mainprize. Mainprize shot and deflected off his linemate, Gordon Ludvigson, for what became the game winning goal. With goals from Jordan Baker, Dakota Sinclair, Kyle Billy and Gordon Ludvigson, the Tyees captured the gold with a 4-3 victory.

Coach Vince Devlin said, “It was the best hockey they have played all season and a great way to end the year. The coaching staff couldn’t be more proud of their effort.”