Campbell River girls win Investors Cup

By Emily Dreger

Carihi played host to over 300 soccer players in the Investors Cup.

Teams from the mainland and the Island vied to win the longest running Senior Girls School Tournament in the province. Joining the Carihi Senior A team in the tournament were neighbours Timberline and a combination of the Carihi Junior and B team. All the teams played four games over two days. The opening game determined where each team were to progress. The winners went to the Cup side and the losing team went to the Plate side of the draw.

The Tyees started off with an excellent performance against a strong Stelly’s side currently ranked #3 in Victoria. Carihi had a dream start and within the first 10 minutes Emma Skalik was able to get past their defence and score with help from right winger Nyla Haider. Minutes later the Tyees scored again, this time with a shot from Macayla Gray, with help from Jolyn Barley. In the second half, Stelly’s showed their character and were relentless in their efforts to stage a comeback. They deservedly managed to pull a goal back. However, the Tyees continued to work hard and were able to withstand the late onslaught and hold on to complete the win. This placed Carihi into the Cup. A trophy they had not laid hands upon since 2002.

Carihi’s second game was against Argyle, from North Vancouver. The Pipers have a wonderful history in this tournament having won it no less than eight times. Throughout the first half, the Tyees battled hard in every area of the pitch, especially with strong defensive tackles from Sydney Boyle, Megan Robertson and Kaitlyn Dreger. The first half ended with a 0-0 score. Carihi played some excellent soccer throughout and were adamant that they would continue to try and pass the ball intelligently and in a purposeful fashion. This was exemplified with some superb passing and moving between Gray, Haley Wingert and Charlie Borrie. It was Argyle who were to take the lead with a powerful corner that was whipped into the the top corner of the far post. Carihi responded in outstanding fashion. The tying goal was an example of what blistering pace can do against a defence. Sarah Bains, a grade 12 athlete who joined the team to help out after playing for Carihi’s B team chased down an early ball which was knocked forward. She chased down the defender and hit the ball into the bottom corner from just inside the eighteen yard box. The Tyees then went on to secure the win with a goal from Emma Skalik.

On the second day of the tournament, the Tyees were in the Cup semi final and found themselves evenly matched with North Island team Ballenas. Throughout the game, the team tried numerous times to create scoring chances with tremendous efforts from Abbie Simms and the rest of the Tyees front line. The Ballenas back line were very strong and disciplined. Gray came closest, hitting the crossbar from 20 yards out. Ballenas moved the ball about well when given the opportunity but in reality any offensive attacks were shut down early by Wingert, Alexis Gieblehaus and EmilyDreger. The few shots on net that Ballenas managed to have were saved with ease by keeper Hayley Hunter. At the end of 70 hard battled minutes, the game was still tied 0-0, leading to a penalty shoot out. The Tyees won the shootout with all three successful shots from Gray, Dreger and Megan Robertson. Once again Tyee keeper, Hayley Hunter came up with the critical and a save.

This win put Carihi into the cup final against Handsworth from Vancouver. Once again the Tyees were up against an equally as ambitious and hardworking team. Carihi started in fine fashion and their high tempo passing game seemed to suprize Handsworth. On 17 minutes the Tyees were awarded a penalty after a handball in Handsworth’s box. The shot was successfully taken by Borrie making the game 1-0. The Tyees persevered through the game and held off any offensive attacks. In the second half Charlie Borrie scored a second goal off of a corner kick, giving the Tyees a 2-0 lead and enough motivation to finish off the game strongly. Carihi won the tournament, making it the third win for Carihi within 21 years of the tournament’s history.