Bantam Bs hold onto top spot

This weekend our Ironside Contracting Bantam B Tyees played 2 home league games at the Rod Brind Amour arena.

This weekend our Ironside Contracting Bantam B Tyees played 2 home league games at the Rod Brind Amour arena.

Saturday Victoria Ice Hawks paid a visit to Campbell River looking to upset the Tier IV leading Tyees. Campbell River came out skating, taking control of the play and keeping Victoria bottled up in their own end. With the Ice Hawks in the box for a roughing call, Kalem Penner set up by affiliate players Dolan Slingsby and David Hunt, put Campbell River ahead by 1-0.

Cole Morgan set up by Morey and Goodwin, finished up the period with a late goal, ending it 2-0 with the Ice Hawks only managing 3 shots on Ryan Smith.

Victoria has been a persistent team lately and continued their momentum from the power-play, putting the puck in nine seconds after the Tyees penalty expired. Morey and Goodwin found a wide open Cole Morgan who made no mistake banging home his second goal of the game.

Victoria’s never-say-die attitude paid off with a late goal in the second for a 3-2 home team lead.

Travis Goodwin opened up the third short-handed by picking up a pass from Julia Wing to restore the 2 goal lead.

The Tyees then took a little break much like the Canada Juniors did, we all remember that don’t we?

Victoria had managed only 10 shots in the first two frames but lit it up in the third with 18 shots. Victoria scored first at 12:11 then again with under five minutes left looking like they may take at least a point home with them.

In the final minute of the game, Cole Morgan and Chaz Wernig set up Travis Goodwin for the game winning goal with 28.2 seconds left in the game.

Sunday the Comox Chiefs zipped up the road for their last meeting with the Tyees, looking for redemption for a lose to Campbell River earlier in the season.

Comox took the lead just three minutes into the game and again with under five minutes remaining for a first period 2-0 lead.

The game had a lot more of a physical aspect to it, maybe because most players play spring hockey together or because they are a close neighbour.

Comox scored again early into the second to go ahead 3-0 before the parade to the penalty box began. A total of 40 minutes in penalties were assessed in the last two periods compared to just six minutes in the first.

The Chiefs took the 3-0 victory but will be unable to knock the Tyees out of top spot in the tier.

This weekend the boys head off to Cowichan to play one game in Fuller Lake to end the regular season and prepare for playoffs.