Close call exposes the value of pets

It started out as a typical Thursday night. I had settled in for the night and was waiting for my sister to come over to catch up on some of our pre-recorded TV shows.

But the moment she walked in the door I knew the night wasn’t going to go the way I had planned.

I knew instantly from the look on her face that something was wrong.

In a panic she told me that our family dog, who moved in with my sister a year ago, had gotten into some Christmas chocolates.

At first, I wasn’t too concerned. In the nearly 13 years we’ve had this dog, he’s never really gotten into human food so I figured the amount he ate had to be minimal. I thought ‘oh maybe he just chewed through some of the cardboard box’.

But no, he’s a small dog and he had eaten roughly nine Lindor chocolates.

Frantic, my sister asked what we should do. Would he be okay or should we seek expert advice?

Fortunately, she knew to call our veterinarian clinic’s after-hours line and she was quickly dispatched through to the veterinarian who was on-call that night.

He told her to try and get our dog to drink some hydrogen peroxide to help get the chocolate out of his stomach.

When that didn’t work, she called him back and the decision was made to bring him in.

By the time we arrived at the veterinary clinic, the poor dog’s heart was racing and he wasn’t doing so well.

Two doses of medication had to be put into his eyes (it’s apparently the fastest route for absorption) before he finally gave up all of the chocolate.

In all actuality it was probably only 15 minutes or so that we were waiting, but those few minutes felt like a lifetime.

My sister and I, never having experienced anything like that before, were concerned, scared and unsure.

Luckily, everything turned out okay in the end and our little dog made a full recovery.

The veterinarian told us we made the right decision to bring him in or else the story may have had a different kind of ending.

We were so fortunate that he decided to eat those chocolates when he did. My sister had only been gone from her house for about an hour so there was ample time to get our dog to the vet and have his stomach pumped.

We shuddered to think what could have happened had he gotten into the sweets during the day while she was at work and then found him hours later.

We are so lucky to have veterinarians in our community who are caring and are available around the clock, 24/7, for when our furry friends get themselves into trouble.

Sometimes it takes a real emergency to be truly grateful for what we have.

I can say now I’m so thankful for our local veterinarians and for the work they do.

And I can better appreciate now when I hear pet owners talk about much money they spend on vet bills.

I used to wonder why people would go to such lengths and put up so much money for an animal.

But after seeing our dog in such a scary situation, and more than anything just wanting to see him well again, I can understand completely.

After all, we are the voice for our pets who don’t have the means to make their own decisions, particularly when it comes to their health.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Two of the weapons seized in a Nov. 8 traffic stop in Black Creek. Photo supplied by RCMP
RCMP seize guns, drugs in Black Creek traffic stop

Two arrested in connection with incident

The Island Aurora arrived in Port McNeill on Sunday, June 14. (Gaby Wickstrom Facebook photo)
BC Ferries to trial two-ship service on Campbell River – Quadra Island route

BC Ferries’ newest vessel, Island Aurora, will sail on the Campbell River… Continue reading

Group physical activities have been suspended at Campbell River facilities. File photo by Marc Kitteringham - Campbell River Mirror.
Group physical activities suspended at Campbell River sports facilities

Classes and programs suspended at Strathcona Gardens, Sportsplex and Community Centre

The North Island 9-1-1 Corporation (NI911) has supported local residents for 25 years. Black Press file photo
North Island 911 looks to change how they get funding

Three options to be decided upon in early 2021

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Nov. 23, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C. daily COVID-19 cases hits record 941 on Tuesday

Further restrictions on indoor exercise take effect

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Krista Macinnis displays the homework assignment that her Grade 6 daughter received on Tuesday. (Submitted photo)
B.C. mom angry that students asked to list positive stories about residential schools

Daughter’s Grade 6 class asked to write down 5 positive stories or facts

B.C. projects targeting the restoration of sockeye salmon stocks in the Fraser and Columbia Watersheds will share in $10.9 million of federal funding to protect species at risk. (Kenny Regan photo)
13 projects protecting B.C. aquatic species at risk receive $11 million in federal funding

Salmon and marine mammals expected to benefit from ecosystem-based approach

Picture of two swans leaving the Cowichan estuary moments before one was shot out of the sky. (Submitted photo)
Petition to stop hunting in Cowichan estuary after swan shot

Hunters blame shooting on illegal poachers

Bob Higgins pulls the gate across on the elevator built inside his home. (Photo by Don Bodger)
Island man’s expertise earns international award with home-built elevator

Experience put to use in winning contest entry for furniture and home projects

Barrels pictured outside Oliver winery, Quinta Ferreira, in May. (Phil McLachlan - Black Press Media)
B.C. Master of Wine reflects on industry’s teetering economic state

Pandemic, for some wine makers, has been a blessing in disguise. For others, not so much.

A fentanyl test strip is used at Vancouver Coastal Health in Vancouver, Tuesday, January, 21, 2020. The test strips will be made available to drug users to ensure that their drugs are safe and free of Fentanyl. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Drug overdoses lead to 5 deaths each day in October; drug toxicity continues to increase

COVID-19 crisis continues to exacerbate the overdose crisis

Most Read