~ 1932-2015 ~
Ruth was born January 26, 1932 in Williams Lake, BC, and grew up in Squamish, on the Upper Howe Sound. Ruth met husband, Larry, when she was 13. Eight years her senior, he always said he had to wait around for her to grow up before he could marry her. In June 1950 he did just that and in 1952 he moved Ruth to Campbell River where he was one of the original employees who started the Elk Falls Pulp and Paper Mill. Ruth became very active in her community and in 1956 was one of the founding members of the Women’s Hospital Auxiliary. In 1962, she was one of five volunteers who took out second mortgages on their homes to build the existing Thrift Shop. This was a natural progression to her appointment as the first Director of Volunteer Services at the Campbell River and District General Hospital, a position she held for 23 years. She also served on the first Hospital Foundation Board. Her passing marks the end of an era, as she was the last surviving charter member of the Auxiliary. In retirement, Ruth and Larry continued to travel to exotic locales and to visit their children and grandchildren, always returning to the town they loved. For 14 years they lived on property in Black Creek so their girls could have their horses near by, but once the nest was empty, they moved back to ocean front in Campbell River. In 2008, after 58 years of marriage and a wonderful life together, Ruth lost the love of her life to the ravages of Alzheimer’s. Sadly, not many years later, Ruth found herself on that same path. In 2011, Ruth moved to Kelowna to be closer to family. In 2012, she moved in with daughter Sharon and finally into care at Heron Grove in Vernon, BC, where she would live out her days. On March 19th, Ruth succumbed to the disease. She is survived by Sharon (Bob) Girard, Karen (Bruce) Mooring, Lisa (Dean) Brown, and grandchildren Tyler, Karly, Carter and Ethan. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Alzheimer’s Society of BC or the SPCA would be appreciated. There will be no service by request.