For a fourth year in a row, the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) has been named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers by Mediacorp Canada Inc.
The competition aims to identify employers that lead in their industries by providing exceptional workplaces for their employees.
“We are very proud of achieving this national honour for the fourth year in a row,” said VIHA Board Chair Don Hubbard. “I want to thank our 18,000 staff, 1,700 physicians, 3,600 volunteers, and the many contracted support workers for choosing VIHA to develop their careers. As the Island’s largest employer, our goal is to continue to be a career destination for future employees.”
VIHA is the only health care provider in western Canada to be afforded this recognition. Some initiatives that VIHA has implemented to attract and retain skilled staff include:
- A mentorship program for new graduates entering the field of nursing to help them transition from student to healthcare practitioner;
- An Aboriginal Employment Strategy to attract Aboriginal youth and adults to the many careers options available in the health care sector;
- Excellent salary and benefits programs;
- Ongoing support for staff training and skills development with scholarships and tuition subsidies;
- Encouraging employees to reduce their carbon footprints and leave the car at home, offering transit subsidies, onsite shower facilities for bicycle commuters, and a car-pool sign-up system
- Leadership development for current and aspiring leaders.
“Attracting and retaining a strong work force means we can provide the best care possible to patients and meet the increasing demands on our system,” said VIHA’s CEO Howard Waldner. “Our online application system, VI-Hire, makes it easier for both staff and the public to learn more about our job postings and apply online. We also have a dedicated team looking at innovative strategies to recruit and retain talent.”
A full list of the Top 100 employers can be found at www.canadastop100.com. If you are interested in a career with VIHA, visit their Careers website at www.viha.ca/careers.