Environment Canada is forecasting strong winds and heavy rain to continue tonight and the City of Campbell River has warned residents to be ready for potential flooding.
A statement on the city’s website said expect:
- heavy rain Thursday and Saturday
- strong southeast winds on Saturday
- high tides for Thursday are at 2:56 am (3.5m) and 3:48 pm (4.1m)
- high tides for Saturday are at 4:41 am (3.9m) and 4:51 pm (4.2m)
Heavy southeast winds on a high or rising tide can cause the city’s storm outfalls to drain slower than normal – which can lead to temporary localized flooding in the downtown area, particularly along parts of Shoppers Row, 13th/14th & Cedar, and Dogwood near 16th Ave.
Prolonged heavy rain fall could also produce high waters in the local streams.
City crews will temporarily barricade flooded areas if necessary. Please respect any signs and barricades.
Sand bag supplies are available for the public at the Dogwood Operations Centre.
The after-hours emergency number is 250-287-7444.
Residents are urged to check local weather forecasts for updated information.
The Environment Canada weather forecast for Campbell River at 7:30 this morning was:
- Today – Rain ending this morning then cloudy with 60 per cent chance of showers late this morning and this afternoon. Rain beginning late this afternoon. Amount 10 to 15 mm. Wind southeast 40 to 60 km/h diminishing to 30 this morning. Temperature steady near 12.
- Tonight – Rain. Amount 30 to 40 mm. Wind southeast 30 to 50 km/h increasing to 60 to 80 this evening. Temperature steady near 11.
- Friday, Oct. 14 – Showers. Amount 5 to 10 mm. Wind southeast 60 to 80 km/h becoming southwest 50 gusting to 70 in the morning then diminishing to 30 early in the afternoon. Temperature steady near 12. Friday night – Rain. Low 10.
So, hey Campbell River and area, why not link us to your photographs of the storm? Use the hashtag #crstorm and link to our Instagram (campbellrivermirror); Facebook (@campbellrivermirror) or twitter (@CRMirror) accounts. We’ll publish a selection of good photos next week.