First responders were on scene at a Nanaimo apartment Wednesday afternoon after a man was bitten while milking a snake.
The incident occured about 3:45 p.m. in the 1000 block of St. George Cres.
According to Martin Drakeley, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant fire chief, the man was draining venom from the snake.
“The individual was milking a snake at the time and apparently, [it] bit his finger, or somehow the snake injected venom into his finger,” said Drakely. “He was feeling off, obviously, a little woozy and B.C. Ambulance transported him to [Nanaimo Regional General Hospital].”
It is not known if it was a snake bite or the fang scratching the skin, but there was a puncture and venom was injected, Drakeley said.
The status of the victim is not known, nor what type of snake it was.