Judge tells problem alcoholic to drink at home

A Campbell River man with a history of alcohol-related violent offences can still drink, but not outside his residence

A man with a history of alcohol-related violent offences can still drink, but not outside his residence.

Cameron Harry, 24, was given another chance to “clean up” when he received a four-month conditional sentence on Monday in Campbell River provincial court.

“The joint submission (by the Crown and the defence) makes sense in the circumstances,” said Judge Brian Saunderson.

Harry was arrested on the night of March 23, after RCMP were called to investigate an assault.

A bloodied and unco-operative victim was located by RCMP officers who then found Harry nearby, walking across the Cedar School playground.

The officer, who knew Harry from past incidents, noted a strong odour of liquor coming from Harry who was also carrying two unopened bottles of booze. Harry also had blood on his hands.

At a bail hearing on March 25, Harry attempted to explain that he was a friend of the victim and was attempting to get help at the nearby Campbell River Hospital, when he was arrested.

Harry was taken into custody because he was on probation condition to not consume, or be impaired, by alcohol outside his residence.

Most of his run-ins with the law happen when he’s drunk. In the last six years, Harry has racked up six assault convictions, two for assault causing bodily harm, resisting arrest, pointing a firearm and 12 counts of breaching court orders.

At the March 25 hearing, after learning that he would not be getting bail, Harry suddenly changed his plea to guilty on the breach of probation charge.

But the judge held off sentencing until Harry came back to court with a plan on how he was going to deal with his alcoholism. The court heard that Harry was raised by alcoholic parents and began drinking at age 12.

During his recent time in custody, Harry has met with an addictions counsellor and wants to enter the Second Chance recovery house in Campbell River.

He was given a four-month conditional sentence to be served at home. During the first two months, he is bound by an 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew and is still allowed to drink inside his home, but not outside or anywhere in public.