Heater ignites bed

The fire caused heavy smoke damage, destroyed all contents in one unit and temporarily displaced approximately 40 occupants

An apartment fire has prompted a warning from the Campbell River fire chief about heater safety.

The fire Oct. 25 in the 600 block of Fourth Avenue was likely the result of a bed being placed too close to a heater.

“The fire department’s investigation indicates that a mattress and bedding were placed in very close proximity to a baseboard heater,” says acting Fire Chief Ian Baikie.

The fire caused heavy smoke damage throughout the building, destroyed all contents in one unit and temporarily displaced approximately 40 occupants in the 29-unit apartment block.

“With this recent event, and in light of the fact we are now into the season when people are using heaters, the fire department would like to remind citizens that heating devices of all types, including baseboard heaters, must be kept clear of combustible materials and given enough space to allow for air circulation,” Baikie says.