Gas scare at Scotiabank

Staff were outside for probably 35 minutes, while fire crews conducted tests

Scotiabank staff had a minor scare Sept. 26 after arriving to work and smelling gas inside the building.

“A pilot light had been extinguished on the stove at (Misty Fin’s) restaurant,” Fire Chief Ian Baikie said. “The stove element had been bumped so it was flowing. That caused odour to be sensed from employees at the bank and we had to turn off the gas in that business (as a precaution).”

Baikie said the staff at Scotiabank called the fire department around 8:10 a.m. and proceeded to evacuate the building.

“The bank folks did the right thing,” he said. “When they smelled the gas they evacuated the bank and waited for us to come. They absolutely handled it correctly – they moved everyone outside.”

Baikie said the staff were outside for probably 35 minutes, while fire crews conducted tests.