Fire department issues holiday fire safety reminder

By following fire prevention tips, you can greatly reduce the risk of fire in your home

The Campbell River Fire Department’s holiday wish is for all residents to have a merry, bright and safe holiday season – and to make sure your tree and feasting are a source of joy this Christmas.

By following fire prevention tips, you can greatly reduce the risk of fire in your home, and enjoy a safe holiday season while helping the Fire Department’s holiday wish come true.

“The first step is to choose a tree with fresh, green needles that don’t fall off when touched,” says Fire Chief Ian Baikie. “Keeping the tree well watered once it’s in your home is also essential.”

 

Maintenance and decorating tips to prevent Christmas tree fires:

 

  • Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source (fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights).
  • Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.

Add water to the tree stand daily.

  • Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
  • Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.

Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of LED strands to connect.

  • Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
  • Do not keep a Christmas tree indoors once it’s dry. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.

“Cooking is also a leading cause of fires in the home, and most can be prevented,” says Chief Baikie.

 

Prevent kitchen fires:

 

  • Never leave cooking unattended, even for a short time.
  • Don’t wear loose-fitting clothing while cooking.
  • Never put water on a cooking fire. If a fire occurs, place a tight fitting lid on the pot or pan, turn off the heat, go outside and call the Fire Department.

“Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors save lives, as long as they’re in good working order,” adds Chief Baikie. “Give your loved ones the gift of safety this season. Change the batteries if required and remember to test these devices monthly.”