A firefighter douses the roof of a cabin in Forbes Landing which caught fire Monday afternoon.

Fire damages cabin

No injuries were reported, but two people are receiving temporary shelter after a roof fire damaged a Forbes Landing cabin

No injuries were reported, but two people are receiving temporary shelter through Emergency Social Services after a roof fire damaged a Forbes Landing cabin.

At 2:15 p.m. on May 25, Campbell River fire crews responded to a fire in the 8000 block of Hwy. 28 (Forbes Landing).

“When crews arrived they found a significant portion of the roof of a cabin on fire,” says deputy fire chief Chris Vrabel.

“A quick response and quick action from firefighters confined the damage to the roof line and one room on the upper level of the cabin. The lower floor and its contents were saved.”

The roof fire was caused by exposed wooden framing located too close to the chimney.

“The fire department reminds citizens that the hot dry weather has arrived early this year, and we all need to take extra care with recreational beach and camp fires,” Vrabel adds.

“Please regularly check both the city (www.campbellriver.ca) and the provincial website (www.bcwildfire.ca) for the latest information on open and recreational fire prohibitions.”