Firefighters tackle extreme fire conditions in the interior of a South Murphy home on Jan. 9.

Family thankful for help but say they will be fine

The family had insurance and expect that to take care of their needs after being left homeless by a fire

The family involved in the South Murphy house fire on Jan. 9 are thankful for the show of support they’ve received from the community.

But they want everyone to know they’re well looked after and they won’t need any donations.

“We appreciate what everyone’s trying to do but we should pull out of this okay,” said Trevor MacLeod.

The family had insurance and expect that to take care of their needs after being left homeless by the fire.

A bank account for donations had been set up as well as the BlackPress 4Good internet donation site but the family doesn’t feel they should accept that help given the resources they have.

“We are insured and we are taking steps to get our things in order,” MacLeod said.

At 10:38 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 9, Campbell River Fire Crews responded to a call about a possible chimney fire at a single family residence at 97 South Murphy St.

When crews arrived there was heavy smoke coming from all sides of the structure.

When fire fighters went into the house to try to extinguish the flames, they discovered extreme fire conditions, and an area of the floor had collapsed.

Crews quickly withdrew from inside the house and began fighting the fire from the exterior of the building to knock down the flames and prevent the fire from spreading to neighbouring buildings.

Nobody was hurt in the fire which is under investigation.