Disaster assistance available

Seasonal or recreation properties, hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, etc. are not covered

The provincial government has announced that Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) is now available to eligible British Columbians in 31 communities on Vancouver Island and across the Lower Mainland, who may have been impacted from the major flooding that occurred last week, including Campbell River.

DFA is available to home owners, residential tenants, small business owners, farmers, charitable organizations and local government bodies who were unable to obtain insurance to cover these disaster-related losses.

Applications for DFA must be submitted to Emergency Management BC (EMBC) by Mar. 12, 2015. British Columbians can access the DFA application form at embc.gov.bc.ca

Claims can be made for total damage in excess of $1,000 to a maximum claim of $300,000.

Home owners or residential tenants must show that the property damaged is their primary residence, so seasonal or recreation properties, as well as hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, luxury items (jewelry, fur coats, collectables), and recreational items like bicycles are not eligible for assistance.