The Campbell River Fire Department provided this photo of a mattress damaged during a fire on the 600 block of Evergreen Road on Saturday.

Campbell River resident sent to hospital for smoke inhalation and burns from structure fire

No other injuries reported following two structure fires on Saturday – fire chief

One person was sent to hospital on Saturday as firefighters responded to a pair of structure fires in Campbell River.

The Campbell River Fire Department reported on Twitter that a morning fire on the 600 block of Evergreen Road sent one person to hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns.

The fire was contained to one room, and a photo from the scene showed a partially burned mattress.

READ MORE: Campbell River firefighters reunite small dog with child

In a tweet, the fire department credited quick action by a building occupant, who managed to knock down the fire with an extinguisher before crews arrived.

A second incident took place just before 4 p.m., when smoke filled the third floor of a four-storey apartment building.

The building was evacuated and the fire was isolated to the kitchen of a third-floor unit, according to the fire department. No injuries were reported.

The events on Saturday followed a string of seven structure fires in just six days during the holiday season.

Those incidents prompted Thomas Doherty, chief of the Campbell River Fire Department, to call for residents to avoid leaving kitchens unattended while cooking. He also warned of placing combustible items near stove tops.

READ MORE: Campbell River resident praises firefighters following furnace fire

Doherty also noted that many incidents involve heating systems at this time of year, and he advised people to clear away any combustible items around heaters.


@davidgordonkoch
david.koch@campbellrivermirror.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter