Six people are out of their home after a fire in the 500 block of Alder Street heavily damaged the main living area of their dwelling.
“Today at 10:35 a.m. Campbell River Fire Rescue responded to a call about a house fire in the 500 block of Alder Street. On arrival, crews were met with heavy smoke coming from all sides of the top floor of a two-storey residence. A quick response by fire crews contained the fire to the living room area of the home,” says deputy fire chief Thomas Doherty.
“Occupants in the home were alerted of fire by a tenant, and all were able to escape, with one person treated by BC Ambulance Service on scene for smoke inhalation,” Doherty adds.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined and is believed to have started in the living room on the top floor. Fire Investigators will continue their work Wednesday.
Damage is estimated at approximately $50,000, the six occupants are in the care of Emergency Social Services to ensure they have food, shelter and medicine at this time.
“It was reported by fire crews at this fire that there were no working smoke alarms in the home, and Campbell River Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone to make sure they have a working smoke alarm in their home to provide early detection of a fire,” Doherty concludes.