A Campbell River family’s home and belongings went up in smoke and flames Friday afternoon.
Firefighters arrived at a home on Vallejo Road just after 2 p.m. May 19 to see flames shooting out from the back of the home.
Campbell River Fire Chief Ian Baikie said the fire began in the kitchen and spread throughout the ground floor then up to the upper floor.
Firefighters had a challenging time inside the building because it had been renovated and did not have a standard floor plan.
Nobody was injured by the fire but Janet Gagne and Al Carter watched their home and possessions destroyed by the fire, leaving them and their six children without even a change of clothes. The children were all away at school when the fire broke out.
The home was insured and temporary accommodation has been provided but a GoFundMe page has been set up to assist the family who were left with nothing to go about their daily lives in the interim.