A graphical rendering shows the proposed design plans for the new Discovery Chiropractic clinic which will be built on the gravel parking lot next to the downtown fire hall where the temporary Extreme Weather Shelter was set up this past winter.

Business involved in land swap deal with city ready to begin construction

Discovery Chiropractic has officially taken possession of a high-profile piece of land involved in a land swap with the city

Discovery Chiropractic has officially taken possession of a high-profile piece of land  involved in a land swap with the City of Campbell River.

The site in question is a gravel parking lot next to the fire hall at 1241 Dogwood Street and which housed the Extreme Weather Shelter over the last two winters.

The owners of Discovery Chiropractic, which gave their existing site at 1180 Fir Street to the city, plan to construct a new building approximately 3,600 square feet in size on the Dogwood property.

Kathleen Wilker, city planner, said the building is expected to cover 22 per cent of the downtown lot, and the remaining 78 per cent would be filled with 26 parking stalls, garbage and recycling, pedestrian circulation and landscaping.

“The proposed site layout makes good use of the property shape, existing site conditions and fits in with the surrounding area,” Wilker wrote in a report to council.

“Locating the building in the northwest corner of the site allows for efficient parking layout as well as good vehicle and pedestrian traffic flow through the site. The proposed driveway locations onto both Dogwood and Cypress Street facilitate safe access and egress into and out of the site.”

The owners of Discovery Chiropractic made the land exchange deal with the city last summer – a move that was approved by city council at an in-camera meeting on August 12 of last year.

Under the agreement, Discovery Chiropractic will also give the city an $86,000 cash payment in addition to its Fir Street property.

The owners of Discovery Chiropractic took possession of the Dogwood Street property on April 1 and are eager to build a new, bigger and better building.

“The rationale for the proposed development includes Discovery Chiropractic’s need for a larger, more modern facility to grow our business, and be better able to serve Campbell River and area,” wrote the owners Dr. Richard Cronk, Dr. Joshua West, and Dr. Sandra Jensen in a letter to the city.

“Currently the proposed lot, which is located on a busy street, is used as a dirt parking lot and a location for a temporary homeless shelter. A new, modern, aesthetically pleasing building, with a balance of parking and landscaping would greatly enhance the downtown core.”

The building is proposed to follow a contemporary west coast theme design with shed roofs, large fir posts and beams, and contrasting warm colour combinations, with colour changes on the trims and details.

“By including and incorporating these elements into the design, they create an attractive building with eye-catching focal points, visual rhythm and flow,” Wilker wrote.

“The front face of the building presents a welcoming, inviting feel leading you around the side to the main entrance.”

City staff were recommending council approve a major development permit for Discovery Chiropractic – to facilitate construction – at council’s Tuesday meeting which took place after the Mirror went to press.

Wilker said the proposed development concept meets the design guidelines of the city’s Official Community Plan while fulfilling the necessary requirements to run and operate a chiropractic clinic.