The Museum at Campbell River has been in the process of filming several new documentary films this year as part of their Living History documentary series that examines in depth certain topics relating to Campbell River’s history.
Just released is a short documentary that tells the dramatic story of the history of the Beaver Lodge Lands.
In the early 1990s, the municipality was planning for the future growth of Campbell River and had been working with the province to develop the area. This was of concern to local environmental groups because the fragile Simms Creek watershed runs right through the Beaver Lodge Lands.
Unbeknownst to the municipality, and forgotten within the provincial government, was the knowledge that the Beaver Lodge Lands were off limits to development. Back in 1931, the Elk River Timber Company gave this 1,000-acre parcel of land to the provincial government to use as an experimental forest in perpetuity. The rediscovery of this gift would shake the community and change the course of the development of Campbell River.
The Museum invites the public to a showing of this new documentary on Saturday June 3, at 1 p.m. The Museum is located at 470 Island Highway. Admission is by donation. For more information call the Museum at 250-287-3103 or go to www.crmuseum.ca.