The Quadra Island Chamber Music Society is welcoming back its very own Music and Creative Director, Philip Hansen, Principal Cellist of the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Hansen will be accompanied by an ensemble of internationally acclaimed musicians from July 22 to 26 for its fifth season.
Hansen has worked diligently with Marc Destrubé, violin; Konstantin Bozhinov, lute; Marcin Swoboda, viola; and Donovan Seidle, violin, to create works that encompass “A Home of Homes.”
The theme celebrates B.C.’s diversity as it introduces a panoply of cultural reflections. The musicians are all dedicated and accomplished professionals whose impressive resumes reflect a rather astounding list of recordings, engagements and participation in an array of international musical societies and festivals.
This year, the Quadra Chamber Society is pleased to welcome Curtis Wilson from Campbell River. Wilson is a respected artist whose talents also extend to the art of drumming. On Wednesday, July 22, Wilson’s magic will be featured with the group at the United Church in Cape Mudge Village. Wilson and Hansen have collaborated on pieces that will highlight the theme, Our Native BC.
The Festival continues to attract a high level of talent to Quadra Island where music lovers enjoy the magic of summer concerts in a variety of wonderful island venues. This year there is a Children’s Festival on Thursday, July 23 at 12:30 p.m. at the SouthEnd Farm and Winery. Music, theatre and more will captivate the young and young at heart. SouthEnd will also host a concession for this family event.
Sunday’s concert will include a brunch catered by the prestigious chef Mariana Gabilondo and will also feature tango dancers Santiago and Deborah from La Lunita out of Vancouver. All evening performances are scheduled to connect with the last ferry to Campbell River.
- Wednesday, July 22: Our Native BC, Quadra Island United Church, doors open 6:30 p.m. $20 (bench seating- cushion recommended, acoustics- priceless).
- Thursday, July 23: Family Concert: Tangles and Tunes, SouthEnd Farm and Winery, 12:30 p.m. Family pack $20.
- Friday, July 24: SouthEnd Winery -Sold out.
- Saturday, July 25: Home and Heart: Music from Eastern Europe, The Stone House, doors open 6:30 p.m., $20.
- Sunday, July 26: Back in Buenos Aires, Brunch, Concert, and Tango dancers at the Quadra Island Community Centre, doors open 10:30 a.m. $35. Early Bird tickets Sold out.
Tickets: Quadra Island: Works of H’Art: 250-285-2834; Inspirations: 250-285-3334. Campbell River: The Music Plant: 250-87-7770.
For more information visit, www.quadrafestival.com