Alison Skrepneck has high hopes for the Campbell River Shoebox Project this year, 340 shoeboxes for vulnerable women in Campbell River and the North Island.
“There is a greater need this year,” Skrepneck, the coordinator of the project in Campbell Rive, said.
The idea is simple: decorate a shoebox, pack the shoebox full of gift items that any woman might enjoy, drop it off before Friday December 8th, and The Shoebox Project will deliver it to a local women’s shelter or outreach agency in Campbell River and the North Island in time for the holidays.
“The holiday season can be a difficult time for many,” Skrepneck said in a news release. “The women who receive the shoeboxes filled with personal items are grateful that someone they don’t even know has cared enough to create a gift for them.”
This is the fifth year for The Shoebox Project in Campbell River, with expansion to the North Island this fall.
Last year, over 260 gifts were delivered to 11 organizations in Campbell River.
The goal for 2017 for Campbell River is 290 Shoeboxes with an additional 50 for the North Island totaling 340 Shoeboxes. Community members interested in donating a Shoebox or participating in other ways including online donations can visit www.shoeboxproject.com for more information.
Last year a woman who received a Shoebox in Campbell River wrote, “thank you so much. It makes me feel appreciated and special.”
Shoeboxes can be dropped off in Campbell River at Coastal Community Credit Union in Discovery Harbour, La Tee Da Lingerie on Shoppers Row and Sundance Java Bar in Willow Point.
They can be dropped off in Port Hardy at North Island Crisis and Counselling Centre Society on Beverly Parnham Way
How to participate:
1. Decorate an empty shoebox. Please wrap the top and bottom separatley so the gift can be inspected before delivery.
2. Fill the shoebox. Make your shoebox as fun as you would like. Choose high quality items valuing about $50 that you would like to receive yourself. Please only include new unusued items. Ideas to include:
- body or hand lotion
- makeup: mascara, eye shadow, lipstick, nail polish, lip gloss
- nut free chocolates, cookies, candies
- shampoo, conditioner, body wash
- small cosmetic bag
- brush, comb
- socks, mitts, hat, scarf
- phone or gift cars (include the value of the card)
- journal, colouring book
- pool, bowling or movie passes
3. Write a message. Women who receive a shoebox are touched by the effort that goes into decorating as well as the special cards, messages and poems contained inside.
4. Deliver the shoebox before Friday, Dec. 8.
For more information on The Campbell River Shoebox Project, please visit the website at www.shoeboxproject.com, you can reach Alison at 250-203-9360 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. In Port Hardy you can also contact Marina at 250-949-8900 or at email@example.com. Find us on Facebook at The Campbell River Shoebox Project.