Research shows that healthy starts in the early years lead to bright futures.
A video was launched on Dec. 1, Canada’s Giving Tuesday, that provides an overview of the unique Success By 6 provincial partnership in British Columbia between United Ways of BC, Credit Unions of BC and the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
Every year BC credit unions contribute 25 cents per member to the Success By 6 initiative. In the central Island region, Coastal Community Credit Union supports this work, and members of all Coastal Community Credit Unions have contributed $ 138,000.00 to date to the Success By 6 initiative.
The video highlights the co-operative work being accomplished in communities across the province, and recognizes credit unions and their members for their continued support of the initiative over the past 12 years.
Highlights from the video include:
- Research shows that healthy starts in the early years lead to bright futures
- Success By 6 supports families and young children by:
- Providing support and resources
- Strengthening the connection between children and their caregivers
- Building supportive communities
- Emphasizing the importance of individual culture and heritage in a child’s life
- Each year Success By 6 funds over 350 programs and services impacting close to 30,000 children across BC
- Every year BC credit unions contribute 25 cents per member, totaling $450,000 annually (which combines with funding from the Ministry of Children and Family Development and from local United Ways across the province)
- BC credit unions have contributed more than $3 million to Success By 6 so far. Credit unions also give time, resources and business expertise by supporting local community Early Years planning
“Credit unions across BC are happy to support this important initiative every year as one of the many ways they help their communities become strong and healthy,” said Kam Raman, Vice President, Member Relations and Trade Services, Central 1 Credit Union. “There are more than 1.9 million BC residents – one in three – who support this program as credit union members and help young children thrive.”
Success By 6 BC
Success By 6 in BC is a unique, joint initiative of United Ways, Credit Unions of BC, the BC Government through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD), and Aboriginal and community leaders. The initiative is dedicated to ensuring that children ages 0 to 6 have access to resources and programs that support their healthy growth and development.
Success By 6 builds child- and family-friendly communities through engaging citizens and funding programs that focus on literacy, nutrition, children’s play, parenting, family skills development and more.