Dodd’s furniture and Mattress is opening its newest location in Campbell River.
This is the third store owned and operated by the Dodd’s family. Gordy and Love Dodd signed over the lease from Sears in August of last year. The 20,000 sq. ft. building required $100,000 in renovations to substantially modify the interior of the store and attached warehouse space. Renovations to the new location concluded in February, with a grand opening of the new store planned for April 1.
“We are excited to make Campbell River part of the Dodd’s family. The community here has been very supportive and many have already been customers for years,” says Gordy Dodd.
Outcomes and timeline:
• Took over the lease from Sears August, 2016.
• Simultaneously started renovating and selling clearance furniture September, 2016.
• Retained all staff resulting in four more staff joining the team, 10 total.
• Added two five-ton trucks to their fleet for a total of 12.
• New store is comprised of a 16,000 sq. ft. showroom and 4,000 sqft warehouse.
• Renovations involved moving walls, new flooring, washrooms, lunch room and heating system. Old store had an 8,000 sq. ft. showroom and 12,000 sqft warehouse – the interior had to be totally reconfigured.
• Construction finished in mid Feb., 2017 leaving just over a month to deliver product, sort out logistics and train staff on new systems.
• Grand opening celebration starts on April 1. In Campbell River there will be special events (bouncy castle, cake, snow cones, hot dogs by donation for local charity, prizes for kids, door prizes) from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with a ribbon cutting by the mayor that day. In 1977, Gordy Dodd opened a small furniture store near downtown Victoria.
Today, Dodd’s Furniture & Mattress is the largest independent furniture retailer on Vancouver Island showcasing a three-story 35,000 sq. ft. showroom in Victoria, a 25,000 sq. ft. furniture gallery in Nanaimo and a 16,000 sq. ft. store in Campbell River. A locally-owned and family-run business, Dodd’s is best known for its quirky commercials starring Gordy Dodd as well as its ongoing community initiatives.