Campbell River Chamber of Commerce presented its 2014 Business Awards of Distinction Saturday night.
In response to the call for nominations, the community brought forward a record number of nominees, representing the contribution that individuals, businesses and not for profit organizations make to Campbell River. An independent panel of judges, comprised of business and community leaders, evaluated the nominations resulting in the selection of the award recipient in each award category. The efforts of all the nominees were applauded by a sold out crowd of over 300 at the 2014 Chamber Business Awards of Distinction Gala Reception and Ceremony held Sept. 27 at the Tidemark Theatre.
The Business Awards of Distinction recipients exemplify the qualities of business success. Each of the award recipients brings their entrepreneurial spirit, risk taking, ideas and innovation into our community to grow and shape a prosperous and healthy Campbell River
The 2014 Award Recipients are:
- Micro Business of the Year for 2014 is Tremain Media Inc.
- Small Business of the Year for 2014 is Bailey Western Star Trucks Inc.
- Intermediate Business of the Year for 2014 is Pioneer Home Hardware
- Large Business of the Year for 2014 is Seymour Pacific Developments Ltd.
- Not-for Profit of the Year for 2014 is the The John Howard Society of North Island
- The Environmental Sustainability Award for 2014 went to School District 72
- The Community Spirit Award for 2014 went to Chan Nowosad Boates, Chartered Accountants
- The Diversity Leadership Award for 2014 went to School District 72
- The Excellence Workforce Development Award (under 50 Employees) for 2014 went to Chan Nowosad Boates, Chartered Accountants
- The Excellence Workforce Development Award (over 50 Employees) for 2014 went to Marine Harvest Canada
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year for 2014 is Shawna Sloan, CR DanceXtreme.
- The 2014 Board of Governors Award went to Shelly Boates, Chan Nowosad Boates, Chartered Accountants.
Board of Governor’s Award Recipient Shelly Boates of Chan Nowosad Boates, Chartered Accountants received a standing ovation as she was welcomed on stage by Chamber Board Chair Mike Boulet and presenting sponsor Robert Behrendt of Nyrstar Myra Falls and was presented the award on behalf of the Chamber Board of Directors and Nyrstar Myra Falls. Boates was acknowledged for her outstanding leadership, volunteer advocacy and commitment to the community.
In addition to the awards presentation, highlights of the evening included the delicious appetizers and desserts, the live auction and draws and the entertaining commentary from emcee, Paul Morrow.
“On behalf of the Chamber, we want to express our appreciation for the outstanding community support we receive for this event. Thank you to the many sponsors and talented volunteers who helped make the 2014 Business Awards of Distinction a success,” said Colleen Evans, President & CEO of the chamber.