News

Tenants escape Lynn Road fire, but two pets die

Fire caused extensive damage to Lynn Road fourplex early Monday morning. - Photo by Paul Rudan/The Mirror
Fire caused extensive damage to Lynn Road fourplex early Monday morning.
— image credit: Photo by Paul Rudan/The Mirror

No one was hurt, but two pets died after a fire broke out in a rental unit of a four-plex on Monday morning.

However, four people have been forced out of their home as a result of the blaze at 1750 Lynn Rd.

“A second escape route (Monday) morning proved to be instrumental for one person, who could not leave through the main door because of a wall of fire,” said Fire Chief Ian Baikie in a news release. “He quickly closed the door and left his unit through a second exit route. Acting on his quick thinking allowed him to escape uninjured and slowed the spread of fire.”

Firefighters were called out at 4:55 a.m. Monday. When they arrived, fire was burning on the second story of the old home and had extended into the attic.

Firefighters were able to save the rental complex, but damage is estimated at $150,000. The owner said she does have fire insurance and was thankful no one was hurt.

“The people’s immediate needs for food, clothing and shelter are being looked after by our local Emergency Support Services,” said Chief Baikie. “Campbell River Fire Rescue reminds residents to make sure they have a plan in the event of fire that provides at least two escape routes from each room.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

ELECTION 2014: Cortes seat eyed
 
ELECTION 2104: Men vying for Mill Bay director identify sewer and salary issues among top priorities
 
Prince Rupert LNG project delayed, others on track
Fire departments respond to school fire
 
Smoke Alarm - October 29
 
COFFEE WITH: Chamber of commerce point man retires
ELECTION 2104: Candidate wants the E&N turned into high-tech testing ground
 
Chalk it up to honesty
 
Blasting causes headaches for Langford homeowners

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.