News

Couple forced out of home

A Campbell River couple was forced to spend two nights away from home after an electrical fire broke out in their apartment complex last week.

The fire, which started in the electrical room around 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 25, destroyed the panel that controls the power in one of the units.

BC Hydro was unable to turn the power back on in the affected unit and the couple were put up at a hotel, said Acting Fire Chief Ian Baikie.

“I believe those residents were without a place for two nights as they were waiting for repairs,” said Baikie.

A provincial emergency assistance program for disaster victims helped accommodate the displaced residents.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
 
CARTI brings community together to solve problems
 
Family frustrated with lack of progress in murder investigation
Facing down the shooter
 
NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
2014 Sail Past a success
New colour scheme for development is fine with church
 
Grant aims to promote physical literacy for kids
 
Rent controls here to stay, province says

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.