- BC Games
Strathcona Regional District adopts 2012-2016 financial plan
The Board of Directors of the Strathcona Regional District (SRD) adopted its 2012 to 2016 Financial Plan and Capital Expenditure Program Thursday.
The decision follows several months of discussion between stakeholders and others concerning the Regional District’s priorities over the next five years, an SRD press release says.
Highlights of the current year’s budget include:
- total operating expense increase of 2.8 %
- total capital expenditures of $1.03 million
- acquisition of a new fire truck for the Cortes Island Volunteer Fire Department
- start of a $1.1 million repair project for the Rod Brind’Amour arena at the Strathcona Gardens Recreation facility
- feasibility studies for regional tourism and regional economic development services
- review of current service provision and participation models
“Although the Regional District’s new 5 Year Financial Plan represents a fiscally restrained, conservative approach to service provision, residents throughout the region should expect no degradation of service levels” stated Board Chair Craig Anderson. “The Regional Board is very cognizant of its fiscal responsibilities and the need to rationalize service provision while holding
the line on taxation. In 2012 we will also be focusing our efforts on the rebuilding of our local economies starting with an evaluation of various economic development and tourism promotion models. By meeting our economic challenges head on we will be much better prepared to take advantage of opportunities that arise over the course of the next few years.”
The Strathcona Regional District (SRD) is a partnership of four electoral areas and five municipalities providing approximately 43,000 residents with 72 services including parks, liquid and solid waste systems, fire protection, emergency preparedness programs and a full-service sports facility.