Fire consumes old Cape Mudge home
An early morning fire Tuesday consumed an old vacant home on Quadra Island.
No one was hurt in the blaze and volunteer firefighters spent approximately four hours dousing the flames.
"I am very glad (no one was injured)," said Pat Wilson, the Community Health Representative at the Cape Mudge Village. "We had great response from the firefighters."
The fire started around 4:30 a.m. in the tiny First Nations village, located on the west side of the island.
According to Chief Ralph Dick, the home was one of the oldest in the village and belongs to Patrick Assu.
"It's older than I am. I guess it's about 80 years old," the chief said.
Wilson also gave credit to the Cape Mudge and Quadra Island emergency service crews for their support.