Television Listings

Court urges misconduct probe into Polanski case

By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A California appeals court on Monday denied a bid to dismiss a 32-year-old unlawful sex charge against director Roman Polanski but in strong language urged prosecutors to investigate claims of misconduct in the handling of the case.

Polanski remains under house arrest in Switzerland, facing extradition to the United States where he could be sentenced for pleading guilty to sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977.

In its ruling, the California Second District Court of Appeal denied an attempt by defense attorneys to have the charge dismissed outright or sent back to a lower court to hear evidence of judicial and prosecutorial wrongdoing.

But the three-judge panel said evidence and arguments presented by Polanski's attorneys did raise "extremely serious allegations" and urged prosecutors to "take steps to investigate and to respond to the claims."

Among errors, defense attorneys have alleged the original judge agreed to one sentence and then improperly sought another and was unduly concerned about the public response and spoke to the media when he should not have. The defense also said the judge considered matters that happened outside the court when deciding upon sentencing.

In its 70-page ruling, the court said there is "substantial probability" any court looking into the allegations would conclude "many, if not all, are true" and that if true, they "demonstrate malfeasance ... and unethical conduct."

A spokesman for Polanski's Los Angeles-based attorneys said they would have no comment and a representative for prosecutors was not immediately available.

Los Angeles defense attorney Steve Cron, who is not associated with either party, said the appellate panel's language means prosecutors should at least look at the allegations of judicial misconduct to see if they merit changes in Polanski's status.

"I think the unwritten message is, 'See if you guys can work this out, and if there is some way of resolving it," said Cron, an adjunct professor at Pepperdine Law School.

POLANSKI REMAINS IN SWITZERLAND

Oscar winner Polanski, whose films include "Chinatown" and "The Pianist," is now under house arrest in Switzerland where he was arrested on an extradition warrant in September.

In 1977, he pleaded guilty to having unlawful sex with a minor, after giving the 13-year-old girl champagne and a portion of a sedative drug.

But in 1978, Polanski fled the United States because he believed a judge was going to sentence him to more than the time he had already served in a California detention center.

Since then, Polanski has made his home in France and avoided extradition to California for his sentencing.

Based in part on interviews in a 2008 documentary about the director and the 1977 case, "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired," defense attorneys have sought to have the charge against him dropped due to misconduct on the part of the original judge, who has since died.

Earlier this year, a California judge said he could not make a decision with the director absent from his courtroom and that Polanski must return.

Polanski's lawyers appealed to the Second District Court to dismiss the charge, resulting in Monday's ruling.

(Editing by Jill Serjeant and Bill Trott)

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, July 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 9 edition online now. Browse the archives.